Due to the recent elementary school tragedy, we have reviewed our safety procedures and regrettably, we have to make some changes. The safety and security of your child is our number one priority.
· Beginning Monday, January 7 the following Drop-off and Pick-up procedures will be implemented:
· Morning drop off —we are no longer able to allow parents to walk their children to the classrooms. If your child is a morning drop-off and does not ride the bus, then we ask that you get in the morning traffic line and let your child out and let them walk into the building on their own. We will have staff available to supervise them. Please do not drop your child off before 7:15 in the morning.
· If you want to walk your child to the front door, park in a designated area. Do not park in the drop-off or pick-up lane and leave your car unattended.
· Afternoon Pick-ups—we will be using a car pick-up procedure. You will not be going into the building to get your child. We ask that you line up in our designated pick-up lane and we will bring your child to you. After the first cars load, we will move those cars out and load the next group. We will issue you a pick-up sheet to be displayed in the dash of your car with the names of the children you pick up. (You will be given mirror hangers or car stickers at a later date). Staff will have check-out sheets and make notes of who picked up students. We realize that at first it may cause a small traffic congestion problem but we are asking everyone to have patience as we strive to make it safer for your child and work out the issues. There will be extra staff and traffic control available to help us make this work.
· On Monday, when we bring your child to your car in line, we will use our normal purple pick-up sheets. (The ones you are given when you wait in the lobby). You will be sent a sheet for your dash in your child’s agenda to use Tuesday until the new ones come in. If you would like to stop by the office and receive your pick-up sheet earlier on Monday, you are welcome to do so. We will radio into the office for other pick-ups and some verification. This first day may be a little difficult and take longer. Again, we ask for your patience.
· If you pick up a Head Start student at the end of the day AND a Botts Elementary student, we ask that you line your car up at the east end of the building (outside Donna Bowman/April Williams rooms)after you pick up your Head Start student and your children will be released there.
· In the event of an emergency and you need for someone else to pick up your child, we ask that you call the office before 3:00 to inform our secretary of this change. If you are unable to call, the person picking up your child will park in a designated spot at the church parking area and go see the school secretary.
· If you are a normal pick-up and you do not arrive to get your child or call the office for other arrangements, we will put your child on the school bus at 3:25.
If you need to speak to the nurse, resource center, guidance office, the cafeteria manager, your child’s teacher or principal, our secretary will follow normal procedures and inform them of your need to speak to them. We ask that you wait in a designated area until we can make sure they can speak to you in a confidential manner.
We ask for your patience and your input. There may be things we will need to change based on ideas you may have. We are open to suggestions. Thank you for your help in this matter. As always, it is an honor to be given the privilege of educating your children. It is a responsibility we do not take for granted.